The Lucerne School of Information Technology is the first school in a Swiss university of applied sciences to be devoted to IT. The new Zug-Rotkreuz campus offers bachelor degree programmes in Digital Ideation, Computer Science, Information and Cyber Security, International IT Management and Business Information Technology and master’s degree programmes in Engineering and Business Information Technology. Rounding out the School’s offer are attractive continuing education courses and applied research and services. It is one of six Schools making up the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts with its 1800-plus staff and 11,500 or so degree and continuing education students.
We are looking for an individual to join our team with immediate effect or by mutual agreement as a
PhD student in Natural Language Processing
What we are looking for
As a PhD student you will work on your thesis and assist us with research projects, which focus on innovating and developing multimodal approaches for enriching Natural Language Processing, improving multimedia recommendations, and matching results. Your research should focus on further developing state-of-the-art NLP techniques and algorithms, in an application field of your liking.
Your main duties
- Research and development of innovative solutions in the fields of statistical NLP, Recommender and Decision Support systems
- Willingness and interest for extending state-of-the-Art NLP/ML solutions to different domains and applications
- Interest towards multimodality in multimedia signal and their potential to improve NLP solutions for complex phenomena modeling
- Actively participate and support applied research projects in the fields of activity of the Information System Labs
- Communicating research results to a range of audiences, including industrial partners and the scientific community (publications in journals and conferences)
- Willingness to cooperate in the further development of the Lab including supporting teaching and national/international cooperation
- Master of Science in a relevant discipline with very good marks (obtained or close to being obtained)
- Preferred experience in writing scientific publications participation, or strong willingness to actively learn it
- Ability to explain complex issues in an understandable way
- Professional knowledge of English (working language of the team) in written and spoken form
- Capacity to work in team in a supportive and result-oriented context and to take proactively responsibilities on tasks
- handling and using NLP algorithms and state-of-the-art frameworks
- dealing with Deep Learning language models and knowledge graphs, including their integration into complex systems
- extensive programming in Python (knowledge of R is a plus)
- Jupyter Notebook and Docker/Kubernetes
Our offer in a nutshell
- An attractive position with the possibility of obtaining a PhD
- A highly motivated and friendly team of likeminded scientists
- An opportunity to further develop your own ideas and position yourself in this field of research nationally and internationally.
- An international working environment.
- Participation in high-profile conferences and workshops, upon succesful pubblication.
- Flexible working time and place (home-office and office in Rotkreuz).
Hochschule Luzern is committed to diversity at the workplace. Excellent flexible working arrangements enable all genders to strike the desired balance between their professional development and their personal lives.
Further information is available from Prof. Dr. Alexander Denzler, Co-Head Information Systems Lab, e-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org