The largest educational institution of the six Central Swiss cantons, the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts offers state-of-the-art jobs and programmes. We share knowledge in Switzerland and abroad, we are forward-looking, creative, and committed to interdisciplinarity. Help us to shape and become a part of our shared, sustainable future.
The Lucerne School of Computer Science and Information Technology is the country’s first department at a university of applied sciences dedicated to computer science. We offer bachelor’s and master’s programs whose graduates are highly sought-after in the business and science communities, state-of-the-art continuing and executive education programs, applied research into cutting-edge topics, and services of high practical relevance.
Lucerne University of Applied Sciences (HSLU) is expanding its research and development activities at Department of Computer Science, IoT Systems and Software Research in Rotkreuz, Switzerland. The scope encompasses the development of Internet of Things (IoT) systems and software, programmable IoT platforms and services, next generation IoT systems architectures, and novel information technology services to shape the emerging trends in IoT systems, infrastructure, and services sectors. Having a close collaboration with premier industry and academia institutions, IoT Systems and Software Research offers an unprecedented combination of industrial and academic research with opportunities to have direct impact on companies’ products and services. We place a high value on building real systems and advancing state-of-the-art in these areas. Our goal is to deliver novel architecture designs and compelling research prototypes. There is a current opening for a highly qualified researcher or senior researcher in the area of IoT Systems and Software.
We are looking for an individual to join our team with immediate effect or by mutual agreement as a
Research Scientist or Senior Research Scientist in IoT Systems and Software
Tasks and job requirements
- Self-driven and motivated individual who is passionate about leading-edge research and development.
- Apply an understanding of software engineering techniques, including software prototyping, systems integration, wireless communications, and computer programming, to provide technical engineering prototyping and software architecture support for future research development and concept vehicles.
- Your software development, architecture, and research skills must always be ready to investigate technical challenges that the team might encounter.
- Responsible for architecting, designing, and prototyping of platforms and system features and will collaborate closely with researchers, engineers, and architects from across HSLU and industry partners to design and implement emerging novel proof of concepts.
- Participate in the development of intellectual property, research projects proposals, create research publications, and work with industry partners to support the transfer technologies to products.
- Applicants should possess a PhD or Master of Science degree in the field of Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or closely related technical majors with four or more years of directly related experience, strong software development and communication skills.
- Have strong coding skills in multiple systems languages such as Java, C/C++, Python, etc.
- Have experience in systems and software, IoT platforms, embedded software, networking, mobile, edge and cloud computing, distributed systems, web technologies, operating systems (Linux, Windows).
- Have hands-on experience in software architecture and design, object-oriented programming, design patterns and their implementation.
- Have experience in developing algorithms to extract insights and knowledge for building real systems is desired.
- Demonstrated written, verbal and presentation skills required in the development of technical documents and presentations.
- Have a strong desire to apply research ideas to building real systems.
- Strong interpersonal communications, and ability to task manage.
- Have excellent communication skills, attention to detail.
- Enjoy working collaboratively in a team and have passion for quality.
- Fluency in German (both written and spoken) is a plus.
Our offer to you
- Exciting and challenging position.
- Innovative and lively working environment offers space for individual design and development.
- We engage with leaders in academia and industry in addition to partnering closely with HSLU departments to deliver novel systems and technologies.
- Identifying and exploring compelling new technologies and opportunities and demonstrating cutting-edge technologies and innovative new usages for computing technology.
- Attractive employment conditions and opportunities for personal development.
- Workplace is located in a new, modern campus, close to the Rotkreuz train station.
Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis. Starting date is flexible, but ideally before June 2023. We look forward to your online application.
Lucerne School of Computer Science and Information Technology
Prof. Dr. Angela Nicoara
Head of IoT Innovation Lab / IoT Systems and Software Research
Co-Head Systems and Software Research Lab